Sustainability & Climate Neutrality
We are dedicated to educating world citizens for a better and sustainable future and are committed to the goals of the United Nations. These 17 global goals were ratified by 193 countries and are a universal call to action to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure that by 2030 all people enjoy peace and prosperity.
The most sustainable way ISHR can support these goals is to teach our students the values they incorporate. At ISHR we aim to be good role models by taking action to protect our climate.
Over the past years the following measures have been implemented:
- Purchased 100% green electricity from renewable sources
- Installed an individual room heating control to save energy
- Insulated the ceilings of our listed buildings to reduce heating costs
- Installed a new, more efficient compact heating station
- Replaced lights in several areas of the school with LED technology
- Reduced copy paper and electricity consumption through a modern copy management system
- Created incentives for staff to use public transport by offering a job ticket
Since no school can avoid CO2 emissions completely, ISHR worked together with the climate agency “Fokus Zukunft” to have the remaining CO2 production measured and analysed.
The result of this work was that ISHR emitted a total of 288 tons of CO2 in 2022 which corresponds to 2,22 tons per staff member and is very low compared to other educational institutions.
To offset the remaining CO2 pollution, ISHR has purchased officially-qualified certificates. The money spent for these certificates is used to support climate protecting investments in areas where they are most needed:
288 certificates from the projects:
- VCS cooking stove Kenia
- VCS water India
- VCS & CCBS forest Brazil
You might ask yourself, what good does it do to produce CO2 in Germany and compensate for it in parts of the world that are far away? Well, this is our shared world, but every Euro we spend goes much further in Uganda, for example, than it does here, or with our immediate neighbors in Western Europe.
This does not stop us from working for a cleaner environment on our doorstep and we will continue to look for ways to reduce our carbon footprint further.
Join us in protecting our environment because there is no planet B!